Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership
The Sports Leaders UK Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership is a nationally recognised qualification that trains and qualifies teachers, youth workers and other members of the community to:
- Lead walking groups in lowland countryside
- Impart the knowledge and skills needed to undertake a day walk in lowland countryside
- Have responsibility for the care of others while leading a day walk in lowland countryside
- Plan and lead overnight base and mobile camps
It is the minimum qualification required by some Operating Authorities for those wanting to train and lead groups in the expedition section of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award.
On completion of the course delegates will be qualified to lead DofE expeditions at Bronze and Silver level on terrain that is within the remit of the qualification.
The Level 3 Qualification in Lowland Expedition Leadership is split into three stages:
Stage 1: Training – 6.5 days
- During these 6.5 days delegates will receive training in the following subjects:
- Legal responsibilities and insurance
- Selecting personal and group equipment
- Navigation including adverse weather and limited visibility.
- Instructional techniques for the outdoor environment
- Expedition planning and organisation
- Planning and preparation
- Conservation and access
- Camp craft
- Hazards and risk assessments
- Emergency planning and procedures
- Remote group supervision (this may negate the need to complete a supervisors course)
Stage 2: Consolidation & Demonstration of Leadership
- During this stage delegates must complete the following before returning for assessment:
- Complete 30 hours demonstration of leadership.
- Produce a delegate evidence record.
Stage 3: Assessment – 2 days
- When a delegate has completed their consolidation and demonstration of leadership totalling a minimum of 30 hours, completed their delegate evidence record and feel ready, they can then book onto an assessment.
- You have 3 years from the start of training to complete your assessment.
- During this stage delegates will be assessed by a qualified assessor.
- As part of the assessment each delegates evidence record will also be assessed.
- The assessment takes the course of a two day overnight camping expedition during which time delegates are assessed on the areas covered during training.
You will be required to provide your own personal day walking and camping equipment for the course. All group equipment will be provided by ADTREX. A detailed kit list will be included in the course joining instructions.
What is included
- Qualified tutor
- Qualified assessor
- Registration with Sports Leaders UK (Cost £73.50)
- All group equipment (tents, stoves, stove fuel, maps, compasses, group shelters, safety equipment)
- All tutoring and administration
- All campsite fees
- Light refreshments during indoor sessions i.e. tea, coffee and biscuits.
What is not included
- Personal equipment
- Personal kit, accident or injury insurance
Training and assessment will take place in the Canterbury and North Downs (Kent) area.
Pre Course Requirements
Be at least 17 years old to commence the course and be 18 years old or older on completion of the course.
Have a genuine interest in leading expeditions and teaching the associated skills.
Recognised Prior Learning
If you already have considerable experience in teaching expedition skills and leading expeditions you may be eligible for the Recognised Prior Learning pathway allowing you to complete the course in a shorter time frame.
In House Courses & Hosting
An in house course can be a great option to help reduce costs and get everyone trained at the same time. Alternatively you could host a course and save money on your booking. For more information please contact us.
During the course you will be required to spend prolonged periods of time outdoors including a total of 4 overnight camps. You will also be required to carry a day sack or expedition rucksack and operate in open terrain in potentially adverse weather conditions. Delegates should ensure they are well prepared for the course.
If you would like further information regarding this or any other aspect of the course please do not hesitate to contact us.
Day 1 & 2 : 17th & 18th Sep 2022
Day 3 & 4 : 01st & 02nd Oct 2022
Day 5 to 6.5 : 14th to 16th Oct 2022 (6pm start on the 14th)
Note: Only delegates who have completed their 30 hours Consolidation & Demonstration of Leadership can apply for assessment.
Price £395.00 + VAT (Training & assessment)
For more information please contact us.